I have nothing in common with people who wash, dry, fold, and put their laundry away all in one day.
At Christmas dinner tonight with friends, we got on the subject of old wives’ tales. One story that has stuck with Judy her entire life regards doing laundry on the day after Christmas. As a child, she learned that if you do laundry on December 26, you’ll wash someone overboard before the new year starts.
Now, I’m all for finding any excuse to postpone doing your laundry. But you’re telling me that if you do your washing on the day after Christmas, someone you know will die before New Year’s Day?
So I came home and immediately Googled this story. I found a similar warning but it centers around another holiday. “There is an old wives tale, that if you do the washing on new years day, you wash someone away before the end of the year or have bad luck all year or will be washing all year.”
Judy will indeed be doing laundry tomorrow, but I’m sure she still hears her mother’s voice warning her about the impending death of an acquaintance. I’ve never heard this story, and I’ll surely be doing laundry tomorrow as well.
Do you have any superstitions that you’ve heard since you were a child? Here are a few to get you started:
- You must get out of bed on the same side that you get in or you will have bad luck.
- If you bite your tongue while eating it is said to mean that you recently told a lie.
- It is believed that kissing at midnight on New Year’s Day increases the affections and attachments that will continue throughout the year.
- If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn you will not catch a cold all winter.
- A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away.
- Cutting of fingernails on Friday or Sunday bring bad luck.
- If you pull out a white hair, ten more will grow in its place.
- Never take a broom along when you move. Throw it out and buy a new one.
- The sudden falling of a comb while combing your hair is an indication of coming disappointment.
- Many people believe that if they wear new clothes on New Year’s Day they will receive more new garments during the year.
- People wear red colored clothes as they believe red is symbolic to happiness and bright future.
And here are a few I will surely use the next time I’m in Las Vegas:
- It’s bad luck to let someone rest their foot on your chair while gambling. If anyone tries, it’s customary to challenge them to a gunfight.
- It’s good luck to wear an article of dirty clothing when sitting down to gamble.
- If your hand itches,it means that you are going to run into some money.