Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.
Weird but true: you’ve never seen your real face, only pictures and reflections. Going deep here, I know. But this is something I’ve never thought about. I found many unusual and strange human factoids for you to enjoy:
- A person uses 17 muscles when they smile, and 43 when they frown.
- In 30 minutes, the human body gives off enough heat to bring a gallon of water to a boil.
- Without your pinky finger, you would lose about 50% of your hand strength.
- The big toe carries the most weight of all the toes, bearing about 40% of the load.
- To enlist in the army, you need to have all ten of your toes intact.
- Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
- Your taste buds are replaced every 10 days.
- The average age of a human fat cell is 10 years.
- Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.
- Bones are about 5 times stronger than steel.
- Ingrown toenails are hereditary.
- The strongest muscle in the human body is the tongue.
- The human heart is approximately equal in size to that of a person’s fist. An adult’s heart weighs 220-260 grams.
- Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour.
- An adult human being is made up of around seven octillion (7 + 8 sets of zeros!) atoms. For perspective, there’s a ‘measly’ 300 billion (3 + 3 sets of zeros) stars in our galaxy.
- There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in an adult human body.
- Human fingers are so sensitive that, if your fingers were the size of Earth, you could feel the difference between a house and a car.
- With the 60,000 miles of blood inside the average human body, you could circumnavigate the Earth two and a half times.
- Nerve impulses travel to and from the brain at speeds of up to 250 miles per hour, faster than a Formula 1 race car.
- At birth, there are 14 billion cells in the human brain. This number does not increase throughout a person’s lifetime. After 25 years, the number of cells falls by 100,000 every day. About 70 cells die in the minute it takes you to read a page in a book. After 40 years, the decline of the brain accelerates sharply, and after 50 years neurons (that is, nerve cells) shrink and the brain gets smaller.
- During a person’s lifetime, the small intestine is about 2.5 meters. After they die, the muscles in the walls of their intestine relax, and it’s length increases to 6 meters.
- An adult person performs around 23,000 inhalations and exhalations a day.
- The smallest cells in a man’s body are sperm cells.
- There are about 40,000 bacteria in the human mouth.
- Each of us has around 2,000 taste buds.
Love and Sex
- Human lips are hundreds of times more sensitive than the tips of a person’s fingers.
- A kiss increases a person’s pulse to 100 beats per minute or more.
- When in love, the human brain releases the same cocktail of neurotransmitters and hormones that are released by amphetamines. This leads to increased heart rate, loss of appetite and sleep, and intense feelings of excitement.
- During a person’s lifetime, they spend about two weeks kissing.
- If someone kisses another person for a certain amount of time, this is much more effective in terms of hygiene than using chewing gum, as it normalizes the level of acidity in your oral cavities.
- A passionate kiss causes the same chemical reactions in the brain that skydiving and firing a gun do.
- About two-thirds of people tilt their heads to the right when kissing.
- Sex burns 3.6 calories a minute.