Mark Twain: The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
And one more set of interesting tidbits for your reading pleasure:
- The average person forgets 90% of their dreams.
- On average, a person needs seven minutes to fall asleep.
- A person would die quicker from a total lack of sleep than from hunger. Death would occur after ten days without sleep, whereas from hunger it would take several weeks.
Right and Left
- Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.
- Only 7% of people are left-handed.
- Every year more than 2 million left-handed people die because of mistakes they make when using machines designed for right-handed people.
- Your right lung can take in more air than your left.
Men v. Women
- Women blink about two times less often than men.
Work It Out
- You can lose 150 calories per hour if you hit your head against the wall.
- A person burns more calories when they are asleep than when they watch TV.
The Eyes Have It
- People with blue eyes are more sensitive to pain than others.
- People with blue eyes have a higher alcohol tolerance.
- You spend 10% of your waking life blinking
- Our eyes remain the same size as they were at birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
- The human eye is so sensitive that, if the Earth were flat, you could spot a candle flickering at night from up to 30 miles away.
- The human eye can distinguish 10 million different colors.
- It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- The muscles which help your eyes to focus complete around 100,000 movements a day. In order to make your leg muscles do the same amount of movements, you would need to walk 80 kilometres.
- Inner speech can clock in at 4,000 words per minute, 10X faster than verbal speech.
- On average, a person says 4,800 words in 24 hours.
That Makes Sense
- Along with the five traditional senses of sound, touch, sight, smell and taste, humans have 15 other “senses.” These include balance, temperature, pain and tie, as well as internal senses of suffocation, thirst, and fullness.
You Gotta Have Heart
- The human brain can read up to 1,000 words per minute.
- The human heart pumps blood at such pressure that it would be able to raise blood up to the fourth floor of a building.
- Your heartbeat changes and mimics the music you listen to.
- The average life expectancy is 2,475,576,000 seconds. During this time we pronounce, on average, around 123,205,750 words and have sex 4,239 times.