I receive several emails and tips throughout the week. Today’s newsletter from Java Momma gave me some good things to think about. Basically, try something new every day. Start slow if you must; maybe try something new one day a week. For instance:
- Take a different drive home
- Leave ten minutes earlier
- Say hello to three new people today
- Wear two different socks
- Part your hair on the other side
- Mustard instead of ketchup today
And here are other life hacks you can try to make your day more satisfying:
- Visit a suburb in your city that you’ve never been to before, or somewhere you haven’t explored much.
- Learn ten phrases in a new language–what about Japanese, Italian or Portuguese?
- Try a new cuisine–what about French, Lebanese or Korean?
- Visit your local library and borrow some books for the weekend.
- Plant some flowers in your garden. If you don’t have one, try an indoor potted plant.
- Visit a local museum or art gallery and view their latest exhibition.
- Learn a new skill–what about sewing, gardening or cooking? You’ll be surprised what you can learn in an afternoon.
- Say hello to a neighbor you don’t usually talk to.
- Make a card for a friend and send it to them with a handwritten note.
- Learn how to cook a new dish for dinner.
- Research the culture of a different country online–what about India, Guatemala or Sweden?
- Go for a walk or bicycle ride around your neighborhood.
- Make a photo album of a recent holiday you took. Don’t let your memories get lost on your computer; make a special keepsake album of your trip.
- Visit your local farmers markets and pick out some fresh produce.
- Plan a day trip to somewhere outside your city–it might be the seaside, mountains or another city!
- Attend a play at your local theater. Support your local theater and have a fun night out at the same time.
- Be a tourist in your own city and visit all the popular tourist sites you’ve likely never been to (don’t forget your camera!).
- Call a friend you haven’t spoken to recently and have a good long chat.
- Put on your favorite song and dance your heart out. You might be surprised at how much fun you have!
- Invite some friends over for a BBQ. There’s nothing better than an afternoon spent with good friends and good food.
- Organize a clothing swap with your friends. You’ll have a great time, and save some cash and the environment all at the same time!
I included items on the lists above that I am likely to do myself. I didn’t include things like “try a new form of exercise like Pilates” or “volunteer with your local nature society to plant some trees.” I am especially NOT going to reread an old favorite book” or “rewatch a classic film like Casablanca, The Godfather or The Wizard of Oz.” Some things are better left for other people.
If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got. You’ll be surprised what you find out about yourself.